When it comes to packing up your entire house, many people get overwhelmed by the sheer scale of the job that they are trying to accomplish. Here at Houston Best Movers we are here to help, and provide some helpful tips on how to make the most of the time available before your upcoming move! As a general guideline, here are some excellent tips on items that you should be sure to take care of before embarking on your move.
6 Weeks Before Moving
- Call your utility companies – call your utility providers and schedule a date to have the utilities disconnected at your old home and reconnected at your new house. Ask what the dates for recycling and garbage pickup are in your new neighborhood, as well as whether there are any restrictions on having large amounts of trash picked up (debris from packing).
- Book your tickets – if moving a long distance, make sure that you have your plane tickets or any other form or transportation booked and reserved in advance. Moving a vehicle or other large objects? Finalize plans for shipping those items. If you have any pets, schedule a kennel time or find a friend that can watch them for a few days around moving time.
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Gather moving supplies – you can order boxes directly from us and we will ship them to your home, or you can get them at common home improvement or office supply stores around your city. Get a variety pack of different color masking tape for labeling boxes and color-coding.
- Begin packing your belongings - many people underestimate the amount of time that it will take to pack everything, so start early! Starting with infrequently-used items, pack up clothes and holiday ornaments before moving on to more frequently used items. Use the tape to color-code rooms and make a spreadsheet in Excel with all your items inventoried and the rows colored to match the color of tape you used on each box.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Confirm dates for utilities – call your utility providers and confirm the dates you set up earlier are all correct, and confirm the move time with us if you have any doubts.
- Pack commonly used items – have each family member create a box that contains all the commonly used items they’ll want access to on their first night in your new home. Include a change of clothes, medications, toiletries, favorite toys, toilet paper, snacks, cleaning supplies, and a first-aid kit for emergencies.
- Finish any outstanding errands – make sure to withdraw cash for emergencies, take your pets to the kennel close to the moving date, and pick up the keys to your new home.
In addition to these moving tips, here at Houston Best Movers we can take some of the stress out of this situation by assisting you in packing up your home with our professional packing services. Our crew will properly pack all large items with padding and shrink wrap, and help you protect and box your smaller items into the appropriately sized boxes as well. We will work with you to make sure that the items that you need immediate access to are packed and marked properly, and easily accessible once you reach your new home.